On this special bonus COVID-19 update, Nurse Keith discusses the state of the coronavirus pandemic as of the last week of October, 2020. Issues covered include shattered single-day records of new cases; the third U.S. surge; Europe’s dire situation; promising gene variant discoveries; the remdesivir controversy; and other salient COVID news of the day.
Sources quoted in this episode include:
- U.S. Sets Coronavirus Case Record Amid New Surge, NY Times, 10/23/20
- ‘At Capacity’: Covid-19 Patients Push U.S. Hospitals to Brink, NY Times, 10/23/20
- ‘It Has Hit Us With a Vengeance’: Virus Surges Again Across the United States, NY Times, 10/20/20
- As the Coronavirus Surges, a New Culprit Emerges: Pandemic Fatigue, NY Times, 10/17/20
- Found: genes that sway the course of the coronavirus, Science, 10/13/20
- Remdesivir and interferon fall flat in WHO’s megastudy of COVID-19 treatments, Science, 10/16/20
- The FDA approved remdesivir to treat Covid-19. Scientists are questioning the evidence, Vox, 10/24/20
- Pandemic Has More Americans Turning to Alcohol, MedicineNet, 9/30/20
The Nurse Keith Show is a proud member of The Health Podcast Network, one of the largest and fastest-growing collections of authoritative, high-quality podcasts taking on the tough topics in health and care with empathy, expertise, and a commitment to excellence.
I’m very privileged and grateful to announce that The Nurse Keith Show is a proud member of Ars Longa Media, a collaborative network of podcasts, media entities, musical artists, and others with an aim to add a humanistic touch to professional education, educate the public from a scientifically informed perspective, and improve lives by strategically partnering with those who share our goals to address social ills.