On this episode of The Nurse Keith Show, we’re focusing on bullying, and we’re using Renee Thompson’s “Do No Harm Applies to Nurses Too: Strategies to Protect and Bully-Proof Yourself at Work” as our guide. You can find more about Renee and her anti-bullying work at ReneeThompsonSpeaks.com.
This podcast episode is filled with gems of information gleaned from Renee’s book. I highly recommend listening, and also getting yourself a copy of the book for you and your colleagues. Renee can even come to your workplace and work with leadership on eradicating bullies from your midst.
On this episode, we explore some of these areas quoted directly from Renee’s book:
The differences between overt and covert bullying.
- Overt: Yelling, criticizing threatening, rolling of the eyes, gossiping
- Covert: Assigning unfair workloads or sabotaging a nurse’s work
Strategies to bully-proof yourself:
- Looking people in the eyes while talking to them
- Walking tall with your shoulders back and your head held high
- Raise your voice if you tend to speak quietly
- Speak with pride about your heritage, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or gender identity
Giving specific descriptions when talking back to a bully:
- “I’m not comfortable with how you’re talking to me.”
- “It’s unfair and unprofessional to criticize me in front of patients.”
Responding directly to criticisms of how you’re different:
- “What does my hair color have to do with how I deliver patient care?”
- “How does the color of my skin affect the nursing care I provide?”
- Help me to understand what my being male has to do with this project?”
here’s so much more, so be sure to listen in to the episode, read Renee’s book, and let me know how I can support you!
Please consider becoming a patron of The Nurse Keith Show by pledging monthly support at my page on Patreon and earn you some pretty cool premiums and benefits! Check it out, and thanks for your support!
The Nurse Keith Show is adroitly edited and produced by Tim Hallowell of The PodcastingGroup.com; and social media is expertly handled by Mark Capispisan.
Please consider leaving a review of The Nurse Keith Show over on iTunes; this helps more nurses and healthcare professionals find the show and benefit from the information being shared. Just visit iTunes, click on the iTunes store, search for The Nurse Keith Show under podcasts, and leave a review, and voila. Thanks!
Keith Carlson is a holistic career coach for nurses, award-winning nurse blogger, writer, podcaster, speaker, author, and popular career columnist. With two decades of nursing experience, Keith deeply understands the issues faced by 21st-century nurses.
Keith’s two podcasts, RNFM Radio and The Nurse Keith Show, offer inspiration and practical support to nurses seeking to create meaningful, satisfying lives and careers. Keith’s message of savvy career management and professional satisfaction reaches tens of thousands of nurses worldwide. Keith can be found on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram—as well as at NurseKeith.com.