On this special bonus episode of The Nurse Keith Show, Keith interviews Lisa Labrie, a nurse, educator, speaker, podcaster, and storyteller. Lisa and Keith have a compelling conversation about the power of story, secondary trauma, the concept of “compassion satisfaction”, nurse burnout, and much more.
Lisa LaBrie the host of the Lamp Podcast, which is focused on shining a light on the stories of caregivers. She is a nurse, educator, and speaker working on helping healthcare professionals learn to care for themselves in order to find joy and meaning in their lives.
Lisa is a force of joy, compassion, and love to be reckoned with, and she brings very singular gifts to the worlds of nursing and healthcare.
Some topics covered in the course of this episode include:
A TED talk by author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie entitled, “The Danger in a Single Story“, discussing the danger of a single narrative about a group, in this case about Africans.
- How nursing education focuses on preparing to do the work of nursing without a discussion of how the work affects nurses emotionally or how emotions of the nurse affect the work.
- We don’t talk about our responses to trauma’ we talk clinical management
- The symptoms of secondary traumatic stress are identical to the symptoms of PTSD
- The stages of grief in patients, but not managing cumulative grief & compassion fatigue in nursing education
- The connection between negative perfectionism and the societal idealism of nurses (Negative perfectionism has an association with anxiety and is related to personal and social factors)
- How can storytelling help nurses gain greater understanding of themselves, their experiences, and their place in the world?
- Compassion satisfaction: the good things that we get out of our work; personal accomplishment; the reasons we went into nursing (helping people, making a difference, etc)
- The Burnt Out to Lit Up podcast by PT/OT husband and wife team
- “Self Healing Through Reflection: A Workbook for Nurses” by Bush and Boyle
- Negative perfectionism is associated with anxiety
- Ira Glass of This American Life talking about storytelling
- Nurse Anna of “The Burnout Book” on Instagram and all over the Internet
- Lisa’s new podcast, The Lamp
Connect with Lisa LaBrie: